The State of Pennsylvania keeps making money on gaming, and it makes you wonder…why did it take so long to add online to the gaming repertoire in the Keystone State?
The Pennsylvania Gaming Control Board released October numbers, and it shows a change of 11% growth from last year. Here’s the chart of each casino, directly from the PAGCB:
|Wind Creek Bethlehem||$39,643,185||$38,613,195||2.67%|
|Rivers Casino Pittsburgh||$32,067,671||$28,192,622||13.74%|
|Rivers Casino Philadelphia||$30,249,282||$22,650,738||33.55%|
|Hollywood Casino at Penn National Race Course||$20,702,692||$18,107,113||14.33%|
|Mohegan Sun Pocono||$19,136,327||$18,133,471||5.53%|
|The Meadows Casino||$17,029,612||$20,294,794||-16.09%|
|Valley Forge Casino Resort||$16,610,538||$10,754,110||54.46%|
|Mount Airy Casino Resort||$16,090,355||$15,192,375||5.91%|
|Presque Isle Downs and Casino||$10,585,607||$10,598,111||-0.12%|
|Lady Luck Casino Nemacolin||$2,931,544||$2,546,270||15.13%|
|Video Gaming Terminals||$466,389||N/A||N/A|
This includes: table games, internet gaming, slots, fantasy contests, video game terminals, and more.
Setting aside sports wagering, which is a different industry in its entirely in terms of revenue with taxes and others, let’s look at how online gaming grew in October.
Slot Machine Revenue
Slots are a huge part of casino revenue, whether in-house or online. In October, the revenue from the dozen PA casinos was $186.9M, which is an increase of over a third of a percent compared to last year. Not a huge increase, but growth nonetheless.
- Just under 24,000 slot machines were operated per day
- Parx Casino led all casinos in October, with $34.5M in revenue from slots.
- Lady Luck Casino Nemacolin saw the largest increase (23% growth), but also had the lowest revenue amount ($2.62M)
- Meadows Casino saw a 16.7% downgrade in revenue from slots.
- Both Parx and Rivers Casino saw 7.3% and 8.2% increases, respectively.
October 2019 Slots Revenue – $186,921,921
October 2018 Slots Revenue – $186,255,556
Table Games Revenue
While not as big as slot machines, tables games have grown massively in popularity of late and are quite popular in casinos and online.
In October 2019, table games accounted for $73,162,270, which was a massive increase from $66,534,318 last year.
- Wind Creek Bethlehem led all PA Casinos with $17.94M in table games revenue.
- Rivers Casino Pittsburgh led all PA Casinos with an enormous 35.81% growth from last year.
- Rivers Casino Pittsburgh had $10.8M this year, compared to $7.96M last year.
- Mohegan Sun Pocono had a 33.22% increase in revenue.
- Of the 12 casinos, only three saw downgrades in terms of growth from last year
- Meadows Casino, Valley Forge Casino Resort, and Lady Luck Casino Nemacolin saw downgrades from last year to this year in terms of revenue.
Online Casino Revenue
PA Online casino revenue saw enormous growth in October 2019, compared to last year. Likely, this is due to awareness and options in 2019 but either way growth was realized.
In October 2019, online casino revenue hit $4.92M, which is a 19.5% increase from last year when it was at just $4.14M. With just three casinos having online options, here’s a quick look at the chart from the PAGC:
Total Internet Games
|Rivers Casino Philadelphia (formerly SugarHouse)||$1,884,496||$647,603||$2,532,099|
|Hollywood Onlice Casino at Penn National Race Course||$1,562,887||$237,760||$1,800,648|
|Parx Online Casino||$529,825||$80,362||$610,187|
Expect this growth to continue month over month, as gaming options have increased and the quality of applications will continue to grow. Unibet Casino PA is now live in PA and DraftKings Online Casino is expected to launch before 2020.
Video Game Terminal Revenue
In October 2019, Video Game Terminals earned $466,389 in revenue.
- $4,948,322 was wagered in total
- $4,481,933 was paid out
- Marquee by Penn had $340K in revenue
- Commonwealth gaming took home $125K in revenue.
Daily Fantasy Sports Revenue
Last but not least, Daily Fantasy Sports in Pennsylvania grew in October, with a 12.45% increase since last year.
In October, $3,264,361 in revenue was earned by all the DFS sites, which is up from $2.9M in October of last year.
With the increase in popularity of single game slates, that explains growth in the Daily Fantasy Sports space.
- DraftKings led in PA, with $1.77M in revenue
- FanDuel was second, with $1.4M in revenue.
- FantasyDraft lost $9,307 in revenue, with their rake-free model.
- All other Daily Fantasy Sports sites combined to be under $100K, this is a two-site market.
- FanDuel saw a 12.25% increase, DraftKings had a 14.52% increase in revenue since last year.
For the full release, please see here.
- PA Sportsbooks Take Nearly 90% of Sports Bets Online in February - March 19, 2020
- Caesars Online Sportsbook PA is Live – Online Casino and Poker Next - March 11, 2020
- DraftKings March Mania Survivor Pool: $250K in Prizes &Student Loan Forgiveness - March 10, 2020